Responding to unmet needs
Families of babies and children whose vision is affected by cataracts face many challenges. They may feel isolated and unsupported, have difficulty in accessing appropriate care, and find the practicalities of managing their child's condition overwhelming. Cataract Kids Australia was founded by parents concerned about the impacts of these challenges on other families.
Our goal is ultimately to improve the visual outcomes of children with cataract. We aim to enhance the support and information provided to families, work with clinicians to optimise treatment outcomes and link with researchers to improve the flow of information.
Who we are
Cataract Kids Australia is an Australian company limited by guarantee and is registered as a charity with the Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission. It is endorsed with deductible gift recipient status by the Australian Taxation Office meaning that all donations of $2 or more are tax deductible.
Its directors are:
Its directors are:
- Megan Prictor, PhD, Founding Director, a parent of an aphakic child (a child who had cataracts that were removed as an infant) and a researcher in health technology law at the University of Melbourne.
- Sue Silveira, PhD, orthoptist and research fellow at the Royal Institute for Deaf and Blind Children, Sydney.
- Dr Anu Mathew, paediatric ophthalmologist at the Royal Children's Hospital, Melbourne.
- Families in Australia and overseas who have provided input to the content on this website, and shared their stories.
- Providers of legal and professional services: Arnold Bloch Leibler (Peter Seidel and Caitlin Edwards); Sarah Craven Photography; Carla Silveira Design, Temper & Wild, Elizabeth Fermanis.
- Staff of Royal Children's Hospital Melbourne Ophthalmology Department including Dr James Elder, Dr Troy Lim Joon, Dr Anu Mathew, Dr Wendy Marshman, Dr Susan Carden, Cathy Lewis; Centre for Eye Research Australia (Dr Sandra Staffieri); Staff of the Orthoptic and Ophthalmology Departments, The Children’s Hospital at Westmead, Sydney (especially Senior Clinical Orthoptist Louise Brennan); Staff of Sydney Ophthalmic Specialists (NSW) and Richard Lindsay & Associates Optometry (Vic); Dr Jane Lock, Paediatric Ophthalmologist; Natalie Ainscough, Orthoptic Clinical Coordinator, Women's and Children's Hospital (SA).
- Dr Alex Levin and Michelle Breslin, Pediatric Glaucoma and Cataract Family Association.
- Sonia Law, director (2017-18).